Communications in Plant Sciences, vol 7, issue 12, p.1-9, 2017 (2017001)
Full title: A review on Tridax procumbens: a weed with immense phytochemical and pharmacological activities
Authors: Funmilayo Adelowo and Oluwole Oladeji
Abstract: Medicinal plants have provided mankind a large variety of potent drugs to alleviate or eradicate infections and suffering from diseases in spite of advancement in synthetic drugs, some of the plant-derived drugs still retained their importance and relevance. The use of plant-based drugs all over world is increasing. Natural products derived from plants for the treatment of diseases have proved that nature stands a golden mark to show the relationship between the interrelationship between man and his environment. The researches and utilization of herbal medicine in the treatment of diseases increases every day. There have been records of advances made in the modern medicine there are still a large number of ailments or diseases for which suitable drugs are yet to be found. This has brought an urgent need to develop safer drugs for the treatment of inflammatory disorders, diabetes, liver diseases, and gastrointestinal disorder. Tridax procumbens is a highly valuable drug and well known for number of pharmacological activities like wound healing, antidiabetic activity, hypotensive effect, immune-modulating property amongst other. Therefore, the phytochemical and pharmacological activities should be investigated.
1. Tridax procumbens is commonly regarded as weed in most part of Africa continents and are known for its pharmacological activity.
2. The application of the plant are immense such as pharmacological activities, hepatoprotective effect, immunomodulating property, wound healing activity, antidiabetic, antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant, bronchial catarrh, diarrheal and dysentery.
3. Analysis revealed the presence of the biomolecules such as anthraquinone, catachol, flavonoids, phenolic compounds, saponins, steroids, tannins and terpernoids.
4. Tridax procumbens also desire development of novel therapeutic agents from the various types of compounds with diverse pharmacologic properties isolated from it.
5. Therefore, more work (study) should be encourage in direction of more pharmacological activities of Tridax procumbens and to elucidate the structures of the phytochemicals responsible for the therapeutic properties of the plant.
Keywords: Herbal medicine, Medicinal plant, Natural product, Pharmacological, Phytochemical, Synthetic drugs.